Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Visas / Migration' started by JoeyLowtown, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. JoeyLowtown

    JoeyLowtown Guest

    Firstly thanks to all who read this, here is my story..........

    I am a 24 year old fully qualified electrician, I hold a JIB gold card graded as approved. I have seven years experience and currently work self-employed. I am NICIEC fully approved also.

    People have always told me to go and work in Oz and the idea has always appealed to me. My personal cirumstances have changed a lot over the past 12mths. A long term relationship has broken down, family are now spread all over the UK and as we all know, work in England is thin on the ground.

    I travelled the US this year following the break up of my relationship. I met the most amazing Aussie girl. She is a school teacher from Brisbane and we hit it off instantly. We are in constant contact and very keen to get to know each other further and see if we have a future. I have very few ties to the UK these days, no children or mortgage. It seemed ideal to come to Oz to work for a while and see how things develop. I thought I'd be killing two birds with the one stone, working in Aus as I'd always wanted and being with this girl. I now unfortunately realise the issue is slightly more difficult.

    I dont want to apply for permanent migration without spending a significant period of time within the country, travelling a little and allowing our relationship to progress to a level significant enough. I am aware of the working holiday visa, but doubt this would allow me to work within my trade, due to VETASSES etc. Also my fear is getting out there and doing casual work for a year, building an amazing relationship and then having to return to the UK after 12mths, start a whole new process and not see her for ages, thus damaging the relationship.

    Are there other VISA options I can explore under the skilled migrant schemes to allow me to get more time over there to assess my situation and then apply for permanent migration whilst there, circumstances permitting?

    Any advice on sponsor companies etc or just general next steps would be greatly appreciated, the sooner I get the ball rolling the better. I have contacted immigration agents via email, but they just want to take my money to process applications, not give me any real world advice regarding my situation. My points score was 140, so should be no probs there!

    Thanks a million,


  2. cal

    cal Super Moderator

    Hiya Joey

    I would speak with a migration agent regarding what visa to get , theres some good companys out there including Visa Bureau, Go Matilda, Next Step Australia etc etc
    There have been so many changes lately to the way visas are issued you need to get the right information from the horses mouth so to speak.

    Another thing to bear in mind is your UK qualifications will not enable you to work unaccompanied in your trade. You will have to go through the QLD licencing system to get the correct recognition and licence for your job.
    This site will give you an idea of what is required

    Good Luck with everything, once you have jumped through hoops and performed all necessary circus tricks this country is fab !!!lol

    Cal x
  3. JoeyLowtown

    JoeyLowtown Guest

    Hey Cal, thanks for your reply mate! It all seems a difficult process eh? I am really keen to do it though. However I want to do it on a kind of temporary basis in order to assess the place and see if I like it and let things develop etc. Im not bothered about working unacompanied, I'd rather work for a contractor for a few years anyway. I'd even be happy to work as a labourer or outside the trade initially just in order to get out there. I have messaged the agents you mentioned, so we'll see what they say. Do you or anyone know whether it is possible to have my qualifictions converted whilst in Australia rather than applying for it all here beforehand?
  4. cal

    cal Super Moderator

    I am pretty sure you have to be here to get the licencing side of things done although it may be worth getting the Trade Recognition done whilst in the UK.

    Things are picking up a little work wise although its quiet now for xmas/new year) so im sure you will manage to get some work.

    Good Luck and let us know what the agents say

    Cal x

Share This Page