Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Visas / Migration' started by lesleybruck, Oct 5, 2012.

1. lesleybruck

lesleybruck Member

Hi all afraid same old question where on earth do you start in deciding where to live. We are a family of 5, myself 39 nearly 40! hubby same age, jamie aged 11, ethan aged 5, and zack 6 months.
    Hubby is electrician by trade but works in fire alarm industry so wants to stick with that side of things, willing to commute at least 40 minutes to work as does that now sometimes up to 3 hrs away at moment. We would like safe area ( do understand nowhere 100 percent) about 30 minutes or closer to beach, love themeparks, wildlife parks, waterparks but dont want to live on top of theme parks etc if you know what i mean. Family area essential, good schools, shops.
    Housing around 550,000 dollars but would rent first anyway. Oldest child loves karate so a karate club not to far away would be ideal, good wifi area as kids love xbox and dont want it to slow.
    Any help would be great, i know people are of different opinions but any help is useful.
    We have looked on net at areas around the Gap, North Lakes etc

2. Coljanbut

Coljanbut New Member

Hi, we are in the process of considering moving from Perth to Queensland and we have decided on Coolum beach area. We spent five days in Brisbane a few weeks ago looking at a short list that I'd made up. What we found that no matter how much you look at a place or investigate it it's so different when you drive through and visit. You really need to see it. We have two boys 11 and 8 and they both do karate, GKR have centres all over Queensland. I liked the look of The Gap but imagine it would be a nightmare to get in and out of at peak times, Brisbane is pretty busy compared to where we are living in Perth at the mo. We love the sunshine coast, so much to see in every direction. We have friends who live near Warner which is a bit quieter but with all the shops near by,also liked Narangba which has got a nice family feel to it and supposedly an excellent state senior school.

3. lesleybruck

lesleybruck Member

How come you have decided to move from Perth asking because we are undecided between the two, Perth because of family there and thought it would be easier to settle, Brisbane because seems more to do than Perth? We hopeing to visit both jan/feb next year.

4. fish.01

fish.01 Member

You might like Redcliffe.

5. Coljanbut

Coljanbut New Member

We actually lived in Melbourne for five years but had the opportunity to come over to Perth and we thought why not. We were a bit fed up of the weather over there, almost as bad as the uk,lol. It was a tough decision as we have some great friends in Melbourne but it was a good chance to sample a bit more of Australia. We like Perth but don't feel it has got as much to offer us as the east coast. Perth is a very beautiful city and I would say quieter than Brisbane but to actually visit things you've on the whole got to travel a lot further. Loads to see on your doorstep in Queensland. Very much like Melbourne I guess. Just be aware aswell of the school years here, different states have different years in which kids go into senior school, my 11 year old will spend another year in primary if we move to Queensland as they stay till year 7, Victoria is year 6 las t year in primary. He's not over impressed but I think it will help him settle in if he has 12 months making friends before senior school. Everyone's different with what they want from where they live and we certainly don't regret the time we've spent in Perth.

6. As most Brisbane suburbs tick your boxes, I'll just let you know that in Sumner Park (Just off the Centenary highway, Southwest of Brisbane), there's a fantastic karate dojo (on Sumners road). My kids don't do karate, but one of the guys out there is a friend of the family and he takes his students competing all over the world (just to give you an idea of the level of that club).
    Cheers
    Phil, for
    Open House Realty Group

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  7. lesleybruck

lesleybruck Member

thats great thank you

8. morag

morag Guest

Hi, not sure if you have decided on a move yet, but we have just moved to Cleveland (30 min drive to CBD or 40 mins on train). Wifi is no problem, high speed and easy to get connected. My 2 teenagers were given a choice of schools and both opted for Cleveland District State High. They have been there for a week and so far are really enjoying it. We are close to beaches, parks, etc and Cleveland seems to be a very nice place to bring up kids. House prices are consistent with most places and definately cheaper than in the city. We have had no problem renting a house either. The sunshine coast and gold coast (with the theme parks) are only an hours drive away I believe.

Hope this helps