Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Visas / Migration' started by LeeB, Jun 28, 2011.

1. LeeB

LeeB Guest

Good afternoon all

First off, I am so glad to have found this site, I have been looking for a forum site to share my worries / concerns for a while now and I am hoping this way gives me more information than generic websites. (if you get my drift!!)

I have just been granted a permanent de-facto VISA thanks solely to my partner being Australian. It is something that we always intended on doing, ever since we met 5 years ago. I should also point out at this point that we have a gorgeous 2 year old - Max

Although going through the application process for the last 12 months, I now feel extremely nervous about actually making the move. Aside from leaving EVERYTHING I know behind, all I keep hearing from my partner's family is about how hard it will be for us to start over, ie find a job, afford the rent / mortgage buy a car etc etc.

My question is this - my job in the UK is an Account Manager for a software provider (not sales at all!) and wish to know if similar jobs are available in the Brisbane area? I also keep reading that the average property (3 beds 1 or 2 bathroom) is around the 450,000 range which seems extremely expensive.... are wages similar over there to here, ie 30K - 40K?

We are going to OZ in August for 3 weeks to see fam,ily so I will use the time efficiiently to try and calm my fears but needed to share my throughts/ converns beforte travelling as I cannot think about anything else at the moment!!

Thanks for reading :smile:

Lee

2. srp

srp No longer active member

Hi, Welcome to LIQ,

I hope the members here can help you, I came over on a Spouse visa as my wife is Australian. So I know how you feel moving to a new country. As for job hunting take a look at "Seek .com" to see what is available to you,

http://www.seek.com.au/

House prices will depend on exactly where you decide to live, the Brisbane area is a very large area and prices will vary a lot, also it will depend on if you are willing to commute and how far you are willing to travel.Do not rule out living in other areas where there may be more job opportunities, remember Queensland is a big state (fit UK into it 6 times). As for income there is a common feeling that to enjoy the same living standard as in the UK you will need to earn 2.2x your UK figure, If you earn £30,000 in UK an equivalent wage here would be $66,000 to get you the same living standard. that is only a guideline but it will give you an idea of what to look for.

3. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi Lee welcome to the forum and congrats on the visa!!!!

Spend a few days testing the job front whilst you are here, as Colin said Seek is a good site ,there is also www.careerone.com and www.alljobs.com . Lots of smaller companys advertise in the local papers, The Courier Mail on a Saturday has a job section so try and pick that up to.

Lots of Luck
    Cal x

4. Martyn Elmore

Martyn Elmore New Member

Hi Lee,

As always, what SRP and Cal have said is spot on. Australia is not cheap; the cost of living, overall, is more than the UK, in my opinion. Your pricing of housing is about right, but there are always exceptions and bargains to be found. Generally, house prices are at best stagnant but have generally fallen over the last year, so it is a good time, valuewise, to buy. This is reflected by investors buying good value cheaper-end properties.

On the job front, generally speaking, qualified professionals can expect to earn more than double the £-$ rate (£30k - $60+k). It is also currently easier to find work here than in the UK. There are also far more opportunities to diversify, to do something completely different. There is a much more open minded society here which allows people "a fair go".

Good luck and have fun

Cheers

5. Ktee

Ktee Administrator

Hi Lee
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the visa x

6. LeeB

LeeB Guest

Thank you

Thank you ever so much for your responses, it has helped me understand that what I have seen and read is the truth and that Australia is more expensive to live in than the UK. We are going to use our month in Brisbane in August to really get a feel for what it will be like if / when we move over.
    I will certainly view properties and spend time at recruitment agencies (guessing they have agencies to sign up with!!??) looking at roles and pay.

Thanks again - looking forward to reading other threads. :wink:

Cheers