Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Schools & Education' started by jkm10, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jkm10

jkm10 Guest

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the equivalent in oz to the UK's first year of school - reception. I have been doing some research but a bit confused as some sites say the first year of school is called prep, but then others say it is kindergarten. We don't have kindergarten in the UK so can anyone explain is it a nursery where the kids play, or are there qualified teachers teaching the children?
    I am thinking of moving to Brisbane or Gold Coast, or potentially Sunshine Coast, I would appreciate any info on schools in these areas - preferably looking for a nice area (not to remote or rural) as I would hopefully try and find accommodation close to the school.

Thanks Jess :)

2. Hi Jess,
    I think you will find prep is more like reception but not compulsory. Prep is usually attached to the primary school and precedes grade 1 whereas kindergartens are usually separate entities. Kindergarten is the precursor to prep.
    Kindergarten does have a curriculum - a useful resource to find out more on this would be https://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/10192.html.
    Hope this helps - if you need any help on areas happy to answer questions here or via a private conversation.
    Thanks
    Shelley

3. jkm10

jkm10 Guest

Thanks Shelley, that is a big help. Do you know anything about wages for a prep teacher? Jess:)

4. Hi Jess
    Found this extract on pay scale The average pay for a Primary School Teacher in Brisbane, Queensland is AU$52,379 per year. Pay for this job does not change much by experience, with the most experienced earning only a bit more than the least. People in this job generally don't have more than 20 years' experience.

5. jkm10

jkm10 Guest

thanks shelley. interesting article, but good to know that pay is really good. Don't suppose you have any suggestions of any nice or not so nice areas of Brisbane, just to give me an idea lol as there are so many primary schools. thanks jess :)

6. There are so many nice areas in Brisbane it would be difficult to give you a long list. As a relocation agent myself I would always do a proper needs assessment to place anybody in an area. However, for people not too worried about being close to the beach I have found the western suburbs good for families with primary school aged children as there are a number of state schools that are high in the rankings including, Chapel Hill, Kenmore State, Fig Tree Pocket, The Gap, Indooroopilly. Also not sure as a teacher whether you would want to live and work in the same suburb or you would prefer to commute at least a couple of suburbs :)

7. jkm10

jkm10 Guest

Ooh ok thanks, I shall check out the ones you mentioned, think for the first year or so I would like to live close to school. So I guess it is finding that balance of a nice area that I can afford to live in :)

8. Sunflower

Sunflower Guest

Hi!
    I was a high school teacher in Brisbane for 15 years, but have been away for more than 10 years.
    From what I understand the pre year 1 year is called kindergarten in NSW, and Prep in Qld.
    Finding work as a teacher in the popular areas of Brisbane has always been competitive. (Somewhat easier in the suburbs with more challenging children and easier also in rural areas). You could also consider the private schools that have education for pre-school age children. This way you are employed by the school directly. In the state system schools have less autonomy then the UK schools at the moment, particularly with staffing. Private schools in Brisbane will consider well qualified and experienced teachers.
    I have been away for a while, but I think my knowledge on this is accurate!

9. jkm10

jkm10 Guest

Hi sunflower, thanks for this info :) yes I am a little worried about finding a job. I have no interest in going rural or remote, so wondering if I will find a job at all. I would be very interested in private schools but by the time I move out to oz I will have only had 1 or 2 years experience as a teacher. I am not sure if that is enough experience for private schools. I really want to go to QLD as well. Oh well I'm sure something will turn up if I keep trying. X

10. Sunflower

Sunflower Guest

Good luck jkm!
    I've taught in London, Glasgow, Sydney and Brisbane in the private and state sectors.
    Do you have a Visa? It could help to start as a supply/casual teacher, then when the schools see your enthusiasm and passion they are more willing to employ you. This has helped me, particularly in high demand areas.
    Definitely I support a Qld move, more affordable than Sydney and Melbourne and a better climate. All the best!

11. jkm10

jkm10 Guest

Thanks sunflower, i dont have my visa just yet. I am currently doing my PGCE, qualify in the summer so will start the viaa process then.
    I would be going out by myself so would be slightly worried about comitting to supply work, if i cant get work then there is no one else to pay my rent and my bills haha.
    Defintley QLD, i previously lived in Melbourne for a year working as a children's nurse (that was what my degree was in), i liked it there but always loved QLD when been on visits. I would be hoping that private schools would be impressed by the fact that I was a nurse, and would hopefully work in my advantage.
    I was really hoping to move out to oz after my NQT year but thinking now that is pretty unlikely with their job situation. :)

12. Sunflower

Sunflower Guest

Hi jkm10,

I sent you a pm, not sure if I did it correctly.
    This site is useful for searching for teaching jobs in Qld: http://www.seek.com.au