Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Brisbane & South East QLD' started by Gill & Dave, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me how far it is or how long it would take to travel by car from North Lakes to Eight Mile Plains? We are moving to Brisbane in February and my OH has a job in Eight Mile Plains, but we are looking to live in North Lakes.

Also a problem we are having is finding a furnished place to stay on arrival. We've tried all the main websites, but can't find anywhere reasonable for about 3 or 4 weeks for the 5 of us. Most places only sleep 4.

Does anyone know if you have to be in the country to rent an unfurnished house, or can you do it online from England?

Thanks!

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Whereis.com is a good site for maps, distances, times etc ,what it cant calculate is the bottle neck at the Gateway bridge (and anywhere else if theres a bump or accident), it is a nightmare in the mornings and evenings. Im not sure how you would avoid it getting to eightmiles plains.

You will struggle renting unfurnished from the UK as your required to do an inspection of the property, have you looked on sites like Stayz, realestate(holiday lets) and Take a break for furnished accommodation, when i was doing there were lots of houses sleeping up to 8 advertised on there.Also try the cabin parks as im sure some cabins take 5 or 6 people, Brisbane Holiday Village is one regually used by migrants.

Hope this helps a bit
    Cal x

3. scotty dave

scotty dave Guest

The Brisbane holiday village is located in 8 mile plains, we plan to go there when we arrive in February, nice accommodation and reasonably priced. The staff are really helpful too, happy to answer any questions we have asked.
    Good luck with your move.

Scotty Dave

4. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Hi Scotty Dave, We are going to book the Brisbane Holiday Village shortly, we too are arriving in February. Have you booked flights yet? We are waiting for my husband's employers to book our flights for us and we have asked for 6th February, which arrives in Brisbane on the 8th. I just hope the holiday village have vacancies for this date, as we can't book it without knowing what flights we have got. Do you have any idea where you will be living or are you just looking around? We will have to look around as we don't have a clue!

Keep in touch, we might see you there!

5. scotty dave

scotty dave Guest

Hi Gill and Dave,
    Like you, we cant confirm our flight dates (in fact there are loads of things we cant do) as our sponsors offices are closed until next week. We cant really do anything until we have had proper confirmation.Not sure how quickly things will move from then on.Looks like we`ll be at the holiday village the same time as you though, if they have any vacancies left. Pretty stressful isn`t it!
    Keep in touch.
    Scotty Dave

6. fish.01

fish.01 Member

AirportLink/Clem7?

7. NZPom

NZPom Guest

Why do you want to live in North Lakes anyway? The place is a hell hole. That aside, it's a long way from Eight Mile Plains. I'd look for something closer and a lot nicer. There are plenty of suburbs that are not an extension of a shopping mall!

8. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Where do you live NZPom? Do you know of any nice suburbs not too far away from Eight Mile Plains? We need something that will be suitable for an 8 year old girl and 2 boys aged 16 and 20. We have looked at suburbs on the map and that, but don't know where to head for first. We will probably be staying in the holiday village for 4 weeks so need to find somewhere nice to rent during that time. Any ideas would be great, thanks!

9. Tango001

Tango001 Guest

Hi ya I'm new to this site - been researching north lakes area too ... Is it not nice there what about Redcliffe ? Bribie island
    i live in Adelaide ( so an old pomsinadelaide gal) & bored here not a lot to do
    hubby looking at jobs in Brisbane so just getting the feelers out there.

got to get the right suburb ;( have no idea

10. Misty

Misty Guest

North Lakes is a very good place if you have kids. There are lots of kids which means lots of schools, too. Options are great. You are close to both the Sunshine Coast and the Goldcoast. We live at the beach!
    We have 7 kids ( which include a 9 yr old daughter and 16 and 21 yr old sons) and they take great advantage of the bike trails, parks, community activites in North Lakes and it "feels" safe around here without the crazy hussle you can get if you move much closer to the city. I wouldn't say that it is cheap here but worth it for the clean quite neighborhoods. I would advice getting a house close to the forrest and walking trail that runs around North Lakes. The kids will appreciate the path ways and you will have a bigger lawn.

We love Redcliffe and are there maybe 3 times a week for the things it has to offer but I wouldn't wont to live there. It's a bit tourist-ie and not as clean and maintained as North Lakes. We love Bribie Isand too but it's a bit far.

We moved here in Aug 2012 and leased for one year. We didn't want to get trapped somewhere scary. We have already decided to stay here.

Best of luck and ask any question you like. I understand that this is a big thing, having just done it myself.
    Cal offered some great advice up there. It is hard to get a place before you get here.

Cheers,
    Misty:rolleyes:

QUOTE=Gill & Dave;12717]Where do you live NZPom? Do you know of any nice suburbs not too far away from Eight Mile Plains? We need something that will be suitable for an 8 year old girl and 2 boys aged 16 and 20. We have looked at suburbs on the map and that, but don't know where to head for first. We will probably be staying in the holiday village for 4 weeks so need to find somewhere nice to rent during that time. Any ideas would be great, thanks![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
  11. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Thanks Misty, we still don't know where we will end up yet. As I think I said we are staying in Brisbane Holiday Village for 4 weeks and will look around. We are due to fly out on 6th Feb so it's getting close now! Our furniture has all been sent and we are living on inflatables and dining chairs!! We have got thick snow here at the moment (Liverpool) and can't wait to feel the warmth! North Lakes does sound nice and another couple from this site are going there in April I believe. I will definitely have a drive up to North Lakes when we arrive, maybe we can meet up for a chat? Hopefully we can get on line when we arrive, so I will keep checking the site. Thanks again.
    Gill x

12. kelsb21

kelsb21 New Member

Hi Gill & Dave are you catching the 8pm flight from Manchester? My husband heads off on that flight. Can't believe it's happening. We had ruled out north lakes but rethinking the area. Looks good for kids we have two. The gap is still top of our list.

13. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Hi Kelsb, yeah, the flight is about 8 pm or thereabouts with Emirates from Manchester, so it could well be the same one! Is it just your husband going over first? If you want to keep in touch then just PM us. We can look out for your hubby and have a coffee at the airport, it's always good to have a friend when you arrive somewhere new!

Gill x

14. lesleybruck

lesleybruck Member

Hi we are also looking at north lakes or the gap but we are thinking more north lakes but hubby will proberbly be working in the city so we will keep an open mind. We are hopefully be landing April but waiting for house to sell so who knows lol. We have three kids aged 12,5 and 10 months. Hubby electrician but does mainly fire alarm work.