Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by snwbnnyinoz, Feb 25, 2013.

1. snwbnnyinoz

snwbnnyinoz New Member

Ok.....I really need to ask this question. Are there lots of snakes on the gold coast. When I google it, I find tons of snake catchers etc (yes I have book marked them and put their numbers in my mobile phone. But should I be really concerned? I have a 3 year old and 4 year old that I am scared will bring me one of these creatures home. And even if it's not poisonous I will die of a heart attack. I'm deathly scared of snakes.

We are moving in about 2-3 months as soon as our house sells. Most of the house is packed now and put in storage so it looks better for people coming to buy. Oh Dear, it's getting close.

Thanks,
    Paula

2. tink

tink New Member

..........it depends where you live.............in most residential areas it is rare..........not to say they are not seen..........it's a case of keeping your grass short and make sure you don't have places for them to hide...........piles of wood/rubbish in the garden...........snakes like to get out of the way.............so don't worry to much...............some people have seen none in their time here..( at home)............others have come across a snake...........ensure you know the procedure if a bite does occur..........try to recognise the different types..( not always easy)..............and have the relevant emergency numbers at hand..............it's often when you have young children you worry but educate them early not to touch..........and don't worry............there are a few posts on here about snakes........will try to find them for you.............or one of the excellent mods will................all the best and take care..........tink x

3. tink

tink New Member

4. snwbnnyinoz

snwbnnyinoz New Member

Thanks tink. I am trying to make the kids understand that we don't touch snakes and if they see one they have to tell mummy or daddy. Saying that I'm trying to teach them to be cautious without showing them my deathly fear. I don't want them to be so scared. I think perhaps so visits to various zoos might be beneficial to all if us when we get there.

Thanks again, Paula

5. Love Shoes

Love Shoes Super Moderator

Hi Paula,
    I am exactly the same .... absolutely petrified of snakes, I am so bad that I won't let the dog out unless one of us is with her. .... I have been here nearly a year and touch wood so far I haven't seen one .... I agree with what Tink says, keep the grass short, no compost heaps that sort of thing, I have been told loads of times they are frightened of us .... They are deaf, so scream your head off, they don't like vibration and if anything will slither the other way if you appear. I was told about some vibrating gadgets that you can post in the ground to give off a sonic vibration action .... I haven't seen them though.

I too have the snake man on fast dial, but so far so good, the only time I've seen one has been a dead one, actually two dead ones, one i ran over and another that someone else had run over, the live ones have been in the zoo, and I hope hits where they stay ......

6. cal

cal Super Moderator

We have lived on acerage in a semi rural area for over 6 years and have seen one or two.. I know it sounds barmy but you do forget about them after a while, they tend to hide if they hear you coming, making it unlikely you will see them reguaqlly and as long as your home has screens and you dont leave doors open there is no reason to come across one in the house..

(and thats coming from me, the one terrified of anything that crawls or buzzes,lol)

Cal x

7. snwbnnyinoz

snwbnnyinoz New Member

Thanks you are making me feel better. I was panicking when I searched snakes on the Gold Coast and saw videos of them in houses and a news article saying they were all over the beaches. Perhaps it's some propaganda for twits like me that would believe that when I'm lying on the beach I've got to watch out for not only the stuff in the water but snakes coming to chase me into said water. Oh dear. Perhaps apartment living will suite me after all. Lol!!!

8. zidden

zidden Guest

Snakes, no need to worry about them. It's the drop bears that you should be worried about, google them... :rolleyes:

9. snwbnnyinoz

snwbnnyinoz New Member

LOL Zidden, my husband already told me about the drop bears. (He's Australian)

10. cal

cal Super Moderator

LOL, When we arrived and i had read all about these snakes and spiders that can KILL YOU,,anddddd , i was petrified, i remember thinking ,how can i ever walk around the house barefoot? i might stand on a spider,, and dont even get me going on letting the kids outside to play without watching them like a hawk!!! Oh yes ,i can laugh now as i know the chances of seeing anything,( let alone being bitten are very slim) but turn the clock back 6 years and i was a wreck on legs!! lol

Cal x

11. Geraldine

Geraldine Super Moderator Staff Member

Cal I'm so glad you've said this...less than a week till we arrive and I've been dreading it....or is it because my mum keeps telling me about a lady she knows of in Brisbane who has the snake catcher out on a regular basis. She did joke however that she thinks she may be having an affair with him lol....

12. cal

cal Super Moderator

I honetly believe we stress ourselves out reading about them.. I know we need to know what can harm you and what cant but we have more chance of being knocked over by a bus then eaten by a killer crawlie ,lol...
    A good pest spray around the house will keep most things out, we do ours ourselves every few months (inside and outside walls/ skirtings/ windows) and have never had a cockroach inside,hardly any ants and next to no spiders,, so it works for me.

Cal x

13. Love Shoes

I agree with Cal, I became a bit paranoid about snakes, snakes in my bed, at first it was so bad I was pulling my sheets back to check, but now I just get in ..... I haven't seen a spider or a snake near our house or garden, just a large lizard, and some of the most beautiful birds ever .... I have the snake man on fast dial just in case, but so far so good, I hope tonight I don't come into a house full of snakes, spiders and creepy crawlies ......

14. cal

cal Super Moderator

Oh love shoes i remember pooing myself the first time i saw a gecko inside,,lol,, now i could sit for hours and watch them they are awesome creatures. We have a couple of bigger lizards who live outside and we sometimes put bits of food out to try and keep them near by..

Cal x

15. Love Shoes

I remember the first house gecko too, I was terrified, now I just joke about charging them rent ....