Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Renting & Real Estate' started by Bforde, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Bforde

Bforde Guest

Hello All,

We are moving to Brisbane in a few weeks and are looking for a short term rental which we settle in. Does anyone know of an agency which deal in short term lets. We are getting desperate now as we arrive in Brisbane on the 2nd of December. I would appreciate any help than can be offered.
    I will be working in UQ so accommodation in the St. Lucia are would be preferable but we are open to suggestions.

Kind regards

Brian

2. the scottish smiths

the scottish smiths New Member

brian i am in the same situation with almost the same timescales, the advice i was given was to go and see estate agents. i was told that in order to get a rental you have to sell yourself to the agent by providing proof of earnings and so on to show them that you are a low risk occupier. if you can do that you will get a house quite quickly. if not it appears that there are between 5-30 people interested in every rental depending on the area. we are trying to make sure we have a good credit rating in OZ, we have a credit card and paid one thing on it just to activate it then quickly paid it off.

good luck mate,

ps, good post, ill be keeping an eye on it.

3. cal

cal Super Moderator

There are a few websites aimed at short term / furnished lets, the more popular ones are
    Stayz
    Takeabreak
    Realestate (click holiday lets)

Also dont rule out Cabin and Caravan parks, lots of familys have used Brisbane Holiday Village , or Ashmore Palms for their first few weeks.

Hope this helps
    Cal x

4. cal

cal Super Moderator

This is more applicable to a long term / unfurnished rental. You have to fulfil an 100 point ID check, so paid up utility bills, copy of a healthy bank statement, letter from employer, passports, driving licence etc are all great for submitting. The more you can submit the better. Its also worth including a cover letter stating your new to the country hence lack of Australian references.

Cal x

5. WanderingStar

WanderingStar New Member

Try www.airbnb.com.au - we used that when we first came over and it was excellent. Also, Gumtree has a lot of short-term rentals.

6. Bforde

Bforde Guest

Thanks all.

We have been gifted temporary accommodation for the first 7 days but the website provided should keep us housed until we can find a more permanent residence. I appreciate all the replies.

regards

Brian