Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Renting & Real Estate' started by John and Morag, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. John and Morag

    John and Morag New Member

    How long is it taking roughly for folks to find a rental in Brissie these days?

  2. Rudi

    Rudi Relocation Brisbane

    I think that's a "how long is a piece of string" questions!

    On average I would say it takes people around 3-6 weeks from when they arrive. It's not as bad around Brisbane as some of the other capitals.


  3. srp

    srp No longer active member

    i would have to agree with Rudi, 3 to 6 weeks seems to be the normal period, it will just depend where you are looking and what you want/need.
  4. cal

    cal Super Moderator

    3 weeks seems about normal lately but it can depend greatly on what area of Brisbane you are looking at moving to and the style of house you want.
    Also bear in mind some property's that are advertised for rent might not be available immediately, i have seen some advertised a month in advance of the actual date you can move in, so its worth checking with each property to make sure it fits your time scale.

    Cal x
  5. John and Morag

    John and Morag New Member

    Really the main criteria would be a nice area with no neds/chavs/bogans :laugh: and pet friendly. We're down to 2 cats now and could be down to 1 by the time we move.

    We're still poring over, Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent -, and Real Estate For Sale, Land and Homes for Sale, Rentals and Commercial Leasing (nice iPad app they have) and it looks like we can get a nice property for ~$350pw. But once we start working we're OK to bump that up to $400/$450.
  6. Rudi

    Rudi Relocation Brisbane

    Looks like you are looking in the right places. A couple of tips with your cats.......

    Tell the agent that they are generally outdoor cats, but if they are indoors they will be confined to your laundry room. Your agent must give you 24 hours notice in writing if they want to come there's plenty of time to ensure your cat is either out or in the laundry!

    You will probably have to agree to have the place sprayed for pests when you leave - that is normal if you have pets.

    If you are finding it hard to find somewhere, try offering to pay 3 months rent in advance as a bit of a sweetener.

    Not all rentals say whether they will accept pets, so unless it specifically says "no pets" then it is always worth asking.

    Hope that helps


  7. cal

    cal Super Moderator

    Realestate and Domain are the best sites to look at to give you an idea on costs. Once you are and have found an area you like , call in all the local agents who cover that area to see what they available or coming available that will fit your time frame. Some companys dont use the above 2 websites.

    Also whilst talking about costs, if you are on a PR visa and have children you will more than likely be entitled to rent assistance. Its not alot but can certainly help whilst you source and secure work.

    Cal x
  8. Cal,

    How does the rental assistance work and who is entitles do you know?

    John and Morag, keep us posted on how long it takes/took. We are not moving until next year but I have my head burried in looking at rentals. Our budget is $350 and there does seem to be a lot out there. We wont be to picky but would like it to be a nice area as we have 2 kids. But it will not be our forever house !

    :) Nat
  9. cal

    cal Super Moderator

    Hi the rental assistance and family benefit are based on your earnings .
    First off you need to be PR so if your on a sponsership (457) visa or temp you wont qualify. The old 136 visa that was replaced with 175 is the most popular PR visa i have come across.

    Second - Once you have a tax file No you can then claim for family assistance,part A and B (part B being for the lower or part time earner)

    If you qualify for Family assist, then you should also qualify for ,,child care allowance (great if you need to put the kids in kindy whilst job seeking) and rent assistance (once you have a lease for a longer term rental).

    Hope this helps
    Cal x

Share This Page