Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Visas / Migration' started by Rowan, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Rowan

Rowan Guest

I'm moving to Brisbane with the family in January. Just got the first quote to ship our belongings. Ouch! And we have very little to move, so it seems, after years of paring down. So, in your opinion, would I be better of spending 10K on furnishings on arrival or shipping a few pieces from the USA?

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

I think it comes down to what funds you have availble and how good your stuff is. Most of our furntiure was due to be replaced so we shipped very little and bought once here. It worked for us ,in that we werent waiting for a container to arrive, if we needed beds we went and bought them, when we got a rental ,i had a washer delivered the next day etc etc.. In hindsight id probably have shipped my fridge and dryer as they were in pretty good condition but other than that i wouldnt change a thing.

Cal x

3. Julie

Julie Guest

Furniture can be reasonable - some where like Super Amart can cater for your needs and you can negotiate - they always appear to have deals. Washers etc can be reasonable to if you shop around or offer cash deals. Customer service has been brilliant. Good Luck. :)

4. F60

F60 Guest

Our plan is to sell/give away things that we cannot use in Australia. Things like our washer and dryer, some appliances and lawn equipment. I agree with Julie, after looking around on the internet it looks like good deals can be had with a little shopping around. So we will buy new items when we get there.

5. cal

cal Super Moderator

I wouldnt be giving your white goods away, especially the dryer.. I have kicked myself so many times for not bringing mine !!!

Cal x

6. Wendy

Wendy Guest

Our voltage is 240v; yours 110v. so I would not bring any electrical appliances. Plus our power plugs are a different configuration so yours wont plug in here.