Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Junie, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Junie

Junie Guest

Hi All, My family, 3 children(15,12 and 7), Hubby - Toolmaker and I are planning on moving to Queensland in April 2013. We have no fixed abode yet as we will see where Hubby gets a job. Very nervous as family don't want us to go and a lot has happened in the past 2 months, Parents health, so feel really guilty about moving. Still have loads to do. Will have to leave our 18 month old westie in UK as cannot afford to bring him, devastated! Would love to hear from any others in our situation. June.

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi we have been here 6 years now and there is no getting around the guilt you feel at leaving family. You do have to be a tad selfish and just keep thinking of the reasons you and your family are moving and thats whats important.
    Queensland is a lovely place so im sure wherever hubby finds work you will find somewhere suitable to live.
    Good luck with everything
    Cal x

3. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Hi Junie,

We are a family moving to Brisbane in February. I have had terrible guilt about leaving my parents, who are getting old now, but I tell myself I am doing this for my children who are 20, 16 and 8 and remind myself that my parents can come over to Brisbane and have great long holidays with us. I bought my dad an ipad for his birthday so we can skype them too. It's so hard though, but think of all the positives. When you find out where you are going to live, let us know. Good luck! Gill x

4. Kforsythklf

Kforsythklf New Member

Hi there,
    amongst the nerves, you must be getting really excited now :) We are also planning a move to Brisbane in December this year, we are a family of four, my husband currently works for rolls Royce as in aero engine repair, and I work with learning disabilities part-time, but gained my Aussie citizenship by decent last year, tho I was born and raised in Derbyshire UK. We are going to be staying with a friend in Hawthorne, to get on our feet, but will need to find jobs straight away. We also share your worries about relatives I'll-health and leaving pets behind. My two children are not happy that we will have to leave their two cats behind, but it is just too costly to bring them over. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like and we can keep each other posted on info/tips etc...and good luck with the move, you guys will hopefully be set up and settled By the time we start packing :) all good wishes, Karen x

5. Kforsythklf

Kforsythklf New Member

Hi Cal,
    may I ask a quick question. We are emigrating from the UK and will be living with a friend for about 3 months in hawthorne in order to find jobs and accomodation etc, but would really like to use his address to enrol the children into school, whilst we go job hunting, plus we hope to settle in Hawthorne too, so there is little disruption for the children. As an Aussie citizen, will I be able to use our friends address to enrol the children, if I am not the registered owner of the house or the utility bill payer? Despite living there? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks karen x

6. cal

cal Super Moderator

Just give the school your friends address, tell them its temporary accommodation for a few months and you will notify them of your new address as soon as you have one. We did very similar except had a rental house for a few months and school,kindy etc were fine. It doesnt matter your not on the Titles for the house,, if the school do insist on something then ask your friend to type up a letter stating your residing at that adress from x date until x date. Im sure you will be fine.

Hope this helps
    Cal x

7. lesleybruck

lesleybruck Member

8. debbio

debbio New Member

Hi Ladies,

We are also hoping to move to Queensland in August/September time.

Starting to get really nervous now about saying goodbye's etc. I really hope it works out for us as we have come to a point where we hate everything about where we live except for family and friends. Its going to be heart breaking leaving them all, but we have to think of our boys and your future together as a family.

We are hoping to be located around the mount cotton area to be close to family. Would be great to keep in touch seen as we are all on the same boat...except ofcourse Cal who has been living the dream for a few years now...lucky sod :)

Debbie

9. Junie

Junie Guest

Having a really bad time at the moment. Looks like we will not be going until the end of June 2013. Thank you to all that have replied, it's nice to know I am not the only one going through this!

10. Geraldine

Geraldine Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi all, we are also moving end of March early April, feel like we are in limbo land whilst we wait for our visa to be processed but in the long run I suppose it's not too bad. We are now living in rented accommodation as we have rented out our own home... In a way it already feels like we are cutting some of the ties as I won't have the sadness of leaving our beautiful home aswell as our fab friends and family. I just keep thinking I will hopefully meet lovely new friends and eventually have a great place to call home....

11. Junie

Junie Guest

Our move being put back even further to August and hopefully that will be the last!! I've had so many shipping companies give me different quotes for various options such as:- home contents; personal possessions; personal possessions plus car........... it's all rolling around in my head. On a tight budget so what do you do for best? Would love to keep in touch with people. Cheapest flights I found are with Malaysia Airlines. Hope all your arrangements/trips are in hand. Would love to hear about experiences.

12. lesleybruck

lesleybruck Member

We have also put our move back so many times its drives you mad. One main reason for us to move dates was the discovery i was pregnant back in 2011, otherwise we would already be there but all back on track now, sold house, changed mind about dog now taking her eventhou she cant fly untill aug so staying with my parents until then. We hopefully fly out beginning of june, looking at flights, got loads of shipping quotes decided to go with 20ft container, not gonna take outdoor furniture or quad bikes. We are very excited but scared aswell as dont know a single person there and where on earth do you start! good luck hope your move goes well

13. debbio

debbio New Member

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Junie, we are also hoping to move in August...before My Little ones start back for the school term.

What areas are you guys looking at?? It would be really nice to keep in touch and meet up once we all arrive and swap stories etc :) I am wvery lucky in that I have family there.

My little ones are 7 and 4, so we think its good age for them to go. My 7 year old is a little nervous and saying he only wants to stay for a year and I cant commit to forever either at this point, but I am hoping that will all change :)

Do you ladies work? Are are you planning on working once there?

My OH works off shore so we are hoping he will get a job straight away and I can have some time off to get the kids settled, etc. Then I hope to work part time doing anything really. I am a Quallified Surveyor, but not sure I want to do that once there. Will just see how things work out.

We are looking at Mount Cotton or Victoria point at the moment.

Hope to keep in touch with you guys x