Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Visas / Migration' started by clueless, Aug 7, 2012.

1. clueless

clueless Guest

Hi. Just interested in hearing your stories on how you moved to Brisbane/QLD. I'm planning on moving there and doing my homework on the whats, nots, do's and don'ts! :) Did you visit first? Did you move w/your entire family at once? What visa(s) did you hold? Did you go through an agency or directly? Cheers.

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi
    My family and i moved here almost 6 years go on a PR visa. We used a visa agent to help us with the application and i found them really helpful. Do you know if you qulaify for a visa or have any of the skills on the 'wanted list'?

Cal x

3. clueless

clueless Guest

hi Cal. thanks for the rep. I'm really clueless hence I set up an appointment w/an agency here. I'm not in the medical field so cancel those skills out of the 'wanted' list. I actually own my biz which is HQ in the USA. I run it remotely from a home office. I've been doing this since 2003. I was raised as an Expat's kid and this is the only life I've known. Definitely looking for somewhere to plonk down the bags and have a place to call "home". We moved back to Europe then over here to SEA. We're still not happy living in these places. I went to visit Brisbane 2 weeks ago... and it definitely has charmed me and looks like a place my children will be happy in. Hence, the decision to make the move. I do have an Aunt who is an Aussie citizen and she has said that she'd sponsor the kids and me. I don't know how long this takes via this route. Anyways, I've heard different stories from different people. Some say to just go back to Brissy, find a job then change visa status. Others say go via the agency. And some others say to have the family member sponsor us. i am curious to hear other people's versions on how they moved to Australia. :) And of course comments/suggestions are always welcome.
    Cheers. C.

4. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi
    I dont know of anyone who is here on family sponsership so i wouldnt have a clue how that visa works. Make sure the agent is up to scratch and registered, we used a UK company called Visa Bureau and they were great but i have read a few horror stories about agents.

My kids took to Brisbane easily, there is so much to see and do and more places than you can possibly visit,im still exploring new areas and im a few years in.lol. Its very child friendly over here and the biggest thing that stood out to me was how clean and litter free the place is, the majoirty of people here really do seem to have pride in their country.

It may also be worth you having a look at our bigger site www.pomsinoz.com ,it covers all Australian states and has alot of advice and tips you may find useful.

Cal x

5. clueless

clueless Guest

Hello Cal. Thanks for the rep and link. Yeah, I couldn't get over how 'genuinely' friendly QLDers are. Coming from America and Asia where the majority don't even acknowledge your presence, it is so refreshing to hear the "Good days" and "How are you's". I felt like I was back in Europe almost.

This agency seems to be qualified and quite the real deal. I just hope they will be transparent on how much moola they will suck out of me to 'help' with this immigration process. I've no clue either how family sponsored visas work. I guess I'll find out soon- tomrrow in fact! I've been perusing the job websites and the majority of the listings all have 'must have valid Oz or NZ work permits'. I'm still toying with the idea of going back to Brissy in early September and try my friend's suggestion to find a job and then change status. Depends on what happens tomorrow I suppose.

Thanks again for the link. I'll definitely check it out. TC. Cheers. C

6. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi C

Fingers crossed it all works out for you. Keep us updated

Cal x

7. clueless

clueless Guest

Hi Cal! OMG! Cancel that agency. LMAO. The agent told me "I should get married to an Oz citizen". Suffice to say my jaw dropped to the floor at such a suggestion! To hear this from a 'professional" immigration agent is simply shocking! I am going to report this person. That is simply not right. My friend who accompanied me couldn't believe that this person actually said this as well! The other sad option he gave me was "go back to school". Nice. Not. I refuse to believe that these are my only 2 options to lawfully move to Australia! I didn't mention the fact that I was given a fee schedule...and ONLY when I pay them will they start the process. I don't even have say where, or what, or when. To me this does not sound right. On to the next I say... The "Moving to Oz" saga continues. Hahaha. I had 2 Duvels to deshock myself w/this encounter. Cheers. C.

8. cal

cal Super Moderator

OMG,, im soooo glad they showed their true colours before you parted with a lot of cash. 2 very good agents are Go Matilda and Visa Bureau, they have helped lots of our forum members and negative press about them is very rare. Either company should be able to give you a good idea of whats what over the phone.

Good Luck
    Cal x

9. clueless

clueless Guest

Good eve Cal. I'll google those 2 agents you've mentioned and continue with my research over the weekend. I still am shaking my head at what happened yesterday. :) Learning a lot on this journey. Might actually be able to churn out a novel at the end with all these mishaps along the way.

Have a brilliant weekend. Cheers. And ty. C.