Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Brisbane & South East QLD' started by Chrisd, May 29, 2012.

1. Chrisd

Chrisd New Member

Can anyone help regards the lifestyle,upbring for 2 small girls on the island, schooling,whats the social scene like,shopping,etc........Or do people have to travel to the main land as we say when living on an island.
    Regards Chris

2. Cal22222

Cal22222 New Member

I havent been, so I dont know, but if you dont get any replies try the main PIO site
    Cal

3. cal

cal Super Moderator

Bribie has its own schools and shops, to be honest you dont 'think' your on island, it just feels like part of the main land.
    I would imagine the nature of your business would decide on if its a success or not in that area.

Cal x

4. Chrisd

Chrisd New Member

Thanks for that Cal,we are so undersided on G.C or the S.C, we love both ,we are coming over on a business visa so will be buying a business, we we are looking at the moment on the internet,what is POI site ,sorry for been so dumb.
    Chris

5. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi the PIO site is our mother site and its a tad busier than here - www.pomsinoz.com

The Gc and Sc are both fab places, with the SC being much quieter and having less tourist attractions, so it all depends what you as a family want and the clientel you will be targeting with your business.

Cal x

6. G'day Chris - the lifestyle on Bribie is much more relaxed than on the GC (1½ hrs away) or SC (1hr), but both are available if you want to be part of the 'tourist' strip action as well as all the hustle and bustle that goes with that action. There's plenty to do, from 4WD and camping on the beach to Surf Lifesaving Nippers, soccer, or dancing, and there are two Primary Schools on the Island - Banksia Beach Primary has the best reputation, however you would need to live in the catchment area for the girls to go to that school. Shopping is ok on the island for immediate needs and Morayfield and Caboolture are about 20mins drive away for a wider selection of everything, but most times you make do so you don't have to leave the island. Socially, there's a number of social and sporting groups available as well as a selection of local restaurants and eateries including the Surf Club Restaurant, Blue Anchorage Restaurant, Mal's Steakhouse, Luke's, Coffee Club, Gloria Jean's, McDonalds, Bowls Clubs and RSL. Bribie is the only naturally occurring sand island in Queensland with a bridge to the mainland, and is approx 85% National Park. Hope some of that info helps.

7. Chrisd

Chrisd New Member

Thanks Wayne,
    Could you then say if some one had to own a business on the island ,that they are supported by the locals, or would the locals leave to buy else where.This is a concern as I'm self employed and would be looking to buy a business on the island, as G.C was our first choice to live, we have spent some time up on the S.C but it seemed a little slow in pace of life and a more holiday feeling i could be so wrong.No hard felings to any S.C residents.
    i'm in the hardware industry so was loooking at that type of business, Do you know if you get any surf of the coastline of Bribie, as i enjoy a good paddle.

8. Spoony1970

Spoony1970 Guest

Chris,

Can you let me know if you eventually went to Bribie as we are looking to move there later this year and any info would be welcome.

Thanks

9. carlhall

carlhall Member

Media:
    Hi
    I lived on Bribie for a while and loved it there, I would move back in an instant if circumstances allowed. There is a good size shopping area there and the beaches are very safe. I used to love getting my fish and chips from a local shop and sitting on the sea front with them. Not sure about schools but never heard any complaints about them. The Island is quieter than the other surrounding areas. As you leave the island heading towards Caboolture there are farm shops where we used to buy cheaper fresh veggie and fruit and there used to be a farmers market on the Island but not sure if it is still going. There are some decent butchers on the island and again this can be cheaper than supermarket, you will soon learn that Australian supermarkets can be expensive. There is an ALDI store on Bribie and we used it a lot for the weekly shop and then went to the supermarket for stuff we could not get elsewhere At Caboolture there is a very large retail area (Morayfield) that has everything you would ever need including cinemas. The Train Station is at Caboolture and the train journey to Brisbane is about an hour. with Caboolture being half hour from Bribie. Housing on Bribie can be expensive depending where you want to live on the Island. Rental can also cost slightly more as everyone wants to live there if possible. I believe there are two golf courses if you are interested in golf.

On the whole I would say Bribie is an ideal place to live but kids can find it boring as the novelty of the big sandy beaches can wear off but that is true of anywhere.

Distances..... about hour and half to Brisbane, hour to start of sunshine coast, 30 min to Glasshouse mountains and about 30 min to Australia Zoo

hope this helps you, if you would like any more info please ask and I will try to help.

cal likes this.