Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Money & Finance' started by marknkaz, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. marknkaz

    marknkaz Guest

    Can anybody shed any light on the 'living away from home' allowance/ tax relief?

  2. Moneycorp currency transfers
  3. chellem

    chellem Guest

    the only one i know of is the p85 form you can fill it in online i think and claim back your tax if you are owed any????
  4. cal

    cal Super Moderator

    The allowance is something the Oz goverment will pay to certain visa holders,def not PR most likely student ones ,im really not sure how it works though,have you looked at the CENTRELINK website?
    Cal x
  5. WelshDebzs

    WelshDebzs Guest


    Didnt know about this we are going on a student visa could this mean us :rofl:

    Will have a look on centrelink to check

  6. godders

    godders Guest

    you get LAFHA on 457 visa too...or at least i was lucky enough to get it in 2000.
  7. Ausinfo

    Ausinfo Guest

    A LAFHA (living away from home allowance) is an allowance the EMPLOYER pays to an EMPLOYEE to compensate for additional expenses incurred and any disadvantages suffered because the employee is required to live away from their usual place of residence in order to perform their employment-related duties.

    Examples of employees on appointments of finite duration who will generally be living away from their usual place of residence are foreign nationals employed in Australia (expatriate employees).

    The employee would be regarded as living away from the usual place of residence provided that they intend to return there at the end of the term of the transfer.

    The advantage is that this LAFHA payment is tax free, if the ATO (Australian Tax Office) deems the claimant to be genuinely entitled to the claim.

    Buying a house in OZ, or applying for citizenship, will negate the claim.
  8. cal

    cal Super Moderator

    Thanks for that Ausinfo ,,looks like we have a good member here guys!!
    Cal x
  9. WelshDebzs

    WelshDebzs Guest

    Thxs for this info

    As we are are hopefully going on a student visa for 2 years do I take it form the above that we would qualify for this while we are working our 20hrs per week or is it only certain employers??...looked on centrelink site and this is a much better explaination.

  10. Ausinfo

    Ausinfo Guest

    Centrelink is actually not involved in this particular allowance, although they do have something else that involves the same term "living away from home allowance", but that allowance is not the same as the one that Expatriates would claim.
  11. WelshDebzs

    WelshDebzs Guest

    Ahh I see hence why I couldnt understand the Centrelink site :confused:

    Is it something we can ask for when applying for jobs or is it best for the employer to tell us dont want to seem too pushy

    Thxs again Ausinfo:wink:


Share This Page