Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Brisbane & South East QLD' started by Dan Jade, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dan Jade

Dan Jade Guest

Hey guys,

my & my boyfriend are taking the big plunge & upping sticks & moving to Oz, we have booked our flights for the 14th may next year to brisbane & have got our visas sorted... this is all we have sorted so far...So i was looking for some advise/ info on brisbane/ gold coast where we are hoping to rent an apartment & find jobs

1) how far a journey is it from the airport in brisbane to the gold coast? is a taxi too expensive? would hiring a car from the airport be cheaper?

2) I need your honest opinion where is the best area to live? brisbane or gold coast (we have our heart set on being close to the beach or with in walking distance) but this all depends on the area so any help?

3) what did you guys do when you first arrived? stayed in a hotel? (if so for how long) & did you already have it prebooked before you came out?

4) & last 1 how quickly from arriving in oz did anyone find a house to live in?

sorry 4 all the questions but i am just super excited & super organised & would like all the help i can get

thanks in advance guys [​IMG]

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Where to live will somewhat depend on where you can secure work, you dont want to be travelling from the GC to Brisbane every day or vice versa if you can help it.

Id hire a car from one of the companys just outside the airport such as East Coast or Brisbane rent a car, they are a bit cheaper if not airport based. This also gives you some freedom to drive around and look at areas.

Most people book a short term let for 3 to 4 weeks. Websites like Stayz etc can help with this. The other option is a cabin on a holiday park, with some if you book 4 weeks you get a good discount. Ashmore Palms on the GC is a popular choice for newly arrived migrants.

Allow yourself 3 to 4 weeks to find, view and secure a rental. You can get a good guide to whats about from Reaslestate.com and click rentals.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck with everything
    Cal x

3. the scottish smiths

the scottish smiths New Member

hi, we have been in Brisbane for a week now and it is an amazing city.we also wanted the gold coast but the work I found was in the city so here we are. I think its about an hours drive, I personally would rent a car but be wary as the drivers here are some what erratic. there are also charges for renting a car and not returning it to that depot so check that out, I would recommend east coast car rentals, I used them and found them very good, walking distance from the beach on the gold coast is going to cost you, one thing I will say tho is that the infrastructure here is good and you can drive most places without to much hindrance after 9pm and even in rush hour its no where near as bad as major cities in the uk. we lived in the Tribeca apartment's in the centre suburb of spring hill next to Brisbane CBD. clean with good pool, sauna, hot tub, plus the staff were very good giving advice. it took us 8 days to secure a house then a further 3-5 days to furnish it with new stuff and move in. one bit of advice is if you have your visa apply for your tax number on the Australian government webpage. takes up to a month to come in so you don't want to be sitting unable to work running out of money. hope this helps and goodluck

4. Dan Jade

Dan Jade Guest

Thank you guys - so helpful xx

5. cal

cal Super Moderator

Just to add - You dont need to wait for your Tax File Number in order to work. If you explain to your new boss it is applied for and you will give it them as soon as its through, they are happy enough. You would also need to notify your choosen bank of your TFNs too.
    You do have to be in the country to apply so best to put it to the top of your 'to do' list.

Cal x

6. the scottish smiths

the scottish smiths New Member

cal your a seasoned practitioner. far more knowledgeable than me

7. mtomov

mtomov Guest

You can actually catch the airtrain from the airport right through to the Gold Coast and it's not terribly expensive. After that there are buses to all Gold Coast locations. If you knew e.g. the caravan park or apartment where you would be staying, it would not be too difficult to get there by public transport. Then you could sort yourself out.
    Other comments are right, anything close to the water is pretty expensive and you don't want to drive Gold Coast to Brisbane for work every day.
    Good luck with the move.
    Margaret

8. The Fisheys

The Fisheys New Member

Hi,
    i got my Tax File Number really quickly, trick is once you are here to apply electronically, then ring them up and pester them. You will find the bureaucracy much more friendly here, than in Europe.
    You should also prioritise a Queensland Driving Licence. You need passport, UK licence, and I think proof of an address here, a hotel or caravan park will do, just remember to tell them when you move. They issue one.........on the spot!!! It is a paper one, the card one comes later. It makes life so much easier buying a car.
    if you don't have a TFN your employer has to deduct the top tax rate from your pay, with no allowances, or lower rates, so ones mind tends to be very focused.
    if you open a bank account with say NAB just go into any branch, tell them where you are staying, they may ask for proof, they just believed me, they will give you a letter with your Australian Address on it, that is satisfactory for a TFN, and a Queensland Driving Licence. NAB let you open an account from overseas, but, you can't make withdrawals until you are here, so don't put too much in it. Also, the card they give you is Mickey Mouse, it's called EFPOS, it works in shops and cash machines in Australia, but not on the internet, or abroad, so ask for a Visa Debit card once you get here.
    Anyway, good luck, and remember, the harder you try, the luckier you will be.

9. thehousehunters

thehousehunters New Member

Hi, how exciting about your move...firstly Bris to the GC is about 1hr, however, the GC has its own airport so this could be something to look into if you want to go directly there. There is one big freeway from Bris to GC so u can't get lost getting down there.

both Bris and GC are equally as beautiful and offer their own type of lifestyle. In Bris you can also find bayside locations if you are after a bit of a lifestyle see change alternatively the GC or Sunshine Coast have awesome beaches.

House hunting can depend on your area and funds to spend. If you renting some rental properties in some areas can b found quickly due to high vacancies and some areas have no vacancies it would depend on where you are looking to live. I would suggest a period of 4 weeks if you are looking to secure something when you arrive, alternatively you could look to secure something before you arrive.

Best of luck with everything.