Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by beddy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. beddy

beddy New Member

We are entering the country on a PR visa state nominated by Queensland with no jobs, and at present haven't even booked any temporary accommodation. Many of our friends in the UK think we are mad but we are embracing this opportunity with open minds and will depict our initial stay on cost and availability of holiday accommodation in the Gold coast. Once there during our 'holiday mode 'period we will be looking for jobs and then I guess reality will hit us hard.We expect this to be really hard going even though my OH job is listed on the skills shortage list as a 'mechanical fitter'.I myself have a foundation degree in early years so here's hoping I will eventually find a job in that field. We have a daughter of 18yrs whom yet has to decide whether to try for a college course ; uni or a job and two sons 8 and 9 years.We fully understand the Gold Coast is a very big place but we have to start somewhere and what better place to start our experiences as we loved it when we visited 3 yeas ago. It has taken us nearly 5 years to secure our PR Visa for various reasons and feel so lucky and privileged to follow our dreams to live in Australia.Good luck to all whom are going through the visa process and we welcome anyone to share their experiences of settling within the Gold coast with us .

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Good Luck with your travels, the only thing i would do straight away is book some arrival accommodation, it does get booked up quickly and can be very expensive if coinciding with any school holidays or bank holidays.
    We came on PR with no jobs, hubby is a mechanic and he just drove around garages seeing if they needed staff, it worked for him and he got 3 or 4 offers so opted for the one that he thought would suit him best.

Keep us updated
    Cal x

3. beddy

beddy New Member

Hi Cal thanks for your advice we have just booked some accommodation at a holiday village

4. Chrisd

Chrisd New Member

Hi Beddy, name is chris from South Africa, we are on a 163 business visa, slightly different, we must buy or start a business we are off to the Gold coast as well,Robina Varsity LAkes area, we managed to get a short term for $650/week in Nobbys Beach apt. We are arriving 8/9/2012, we are really looking forward to our new life. nervous for sure, wife and 2 girls (10+7).
    Hang in there you will be all right .
    Cheers Chris

5. Danny&Em

Danny&Em Guest

Gosh I read this and it's almost like for like.... In terms of, (for us),, 5 years for the visa, 3 applications, 2 migration officers, booked our flights yesterday to brisbane. Also have no accom, no jobs (yet). Sunshine coast for us, or there abouts. We head out in jan. that's me, Emma and Callum who will be 21 month young.

Well done and the very best of luck!