Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by kerrywinder, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kerrywinder

kerrywinder New Member

Arrived 3 days ago, now looking for 4 cars and a rented 4 bedroom house nfurnished house near Brisbane , Bit confused about cars, any advise please

We are renting a holiday home for 5 weeks in Brighton lovely place but too quite for us. looking around Cleverland area next.

Any Ideas or advise please

Mnay thanks

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Whats confusing you about cars ? Are you looking to buy new or 2nd hand ones? Gympie Road in Brisbane has alot of car pitches as does Ipswich Road at Moorooka (often referred too as the golden mile).. Just make sure you haggle and the vehicle has a road worthy cert (bit like an MOT). You dont get a log book as such here , and you have a very basic 3rd party insurance included with your rego (bit like a tax disc).

For longer tern rentals are you looking at Domain.com and realestate.com.au ? Get all your paperwork copied and ready to submitt when a view a house if you like. Every applicant over 18 will need to be neamed on the lease and need to provide ID.

Hope this helps a bit, fire away with any questions

Cal x

3. kerrywinder

kerrywinder New Member

thanks

HI

Thanks thats a great help:smile:

off for a little drive now to look around at cars

Many thanks

4. cal

cal Super Moderator

Good luck its a buyers market so dont let anyone try to screw you over because your new to the country (theres some dodgy traders out there just like the UK). If theres anything your unsure of ,ask on here and we will do our best to help.

Cal x

5. fish.01

fish.01 Member

www.carsales.com.au
    www.redbook.com.au
    Cleveland is very sleepy as well. Closer to town is busier.

6. smurph22

smurph22 Guest

Hi Welcome

We've been here six months now so know how you feel, so much to think about and find out. Cars? we found second hand cars really expensive, depends what your looking for and how much you want to spend, but a good tip is not to concentrate too much on the mileage (as they all seem to have heaps compared to what we are used to in the UK) but if its high try to get something with a decent service history. We got a Honda CRV for about $4,500 (I think) its old w high mileage but good service history and has runs really well. I'll private message you the name of the dealer we got it from (if i can work out how to do that, haven't been on here for a while) but he seemed like a decent guy and my husband went back and got a Ute off him (same sort of price) a month or so back and so far so good with that too, he's only a small dealer but if you tell him what your looking for he might be worth giving a go, he's in Southport on the Goldcoast. , s

We've settled in Cleveland, well Thornlands actually which is about 4kms from Cleveland, the houses are newer there and close enough to Cleveland for pubs restaurants etc. really nice area, we wanted to be near the water but the Goldcoast was too far to Brisbance city so decided on here, miss the ocean a bit but can't get it all I guess. Usual to find something is look on realestate.com and check out the main real estate agents which are LJ Hooker and Ray White, we pay $495 for a 4 bed new house but no pool. The tricky thing with the houses is that the good ones usually have more than one family interested in them and they often go for the ones who have rental history they can check, we offered to pay 6 months up front to get our foot in the door.

Hope that helps, good luck with everything Angelax

7. kerrywinder

kerrywinder New Member

Hi Angela,

thats a great help, if you could give me the car guys name would be fab. regarding houses we have seen a few but seem to go fast !! yes we ae offering 6 months rent up front to get them interested in us. we are now looking a Mountain Creek area as very quite here, I will check out Thornlands as we did want to be close to Brisbane for job etc

if you can think of any thing else that miht help us please PM me

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  8. srp

srp No longer active member

********* Can I remind members not to put their email address in a posts, this is a public forum and as such email addresses can be harvested by computer programs that scan public forums so they can collect personal details and sell them to be be spammed or cloned.

Email address can safely be sent using the PM system that is available to all members about 1 hour after registering your account. There is also an email facility that is available.

These services are available by clicking on the member’s name that you are trying to contact.

Thanks Folks .

9. kerrywinder

kerrywinder New Member

10. cal

cal Super Moderator

300km is quite high, mileage wise, but the price does reflect this, id be offering $2k cash and stretching a couple of hundred more if need be. Id also request 6 mths rego,lol..

Dont forget when you transfer the car into your name you pay a percentage of the purchase price, so bear this in mind when budgeting.

Cal x

11. kerrywinder

kerrywinder New Member

i didnt know that about the percentage of purchase price !! do you know how much ? I am looking at a Honda for $4500 as well

thanks

12. cal

cal Super Moderator

I think its about 3% of the purchase price.

Cal x

13. Galahad

Galahad Guest

Hi, Cleveland is a great place - got an 'actual centre' unlike Capalaba....
    But you're not really very far from the ocean in either Thornlands or Cleveland....east of Cleveland (joined to it really) there's Raby Bay & just down the road is Victoria Point which is right on the ocean...
    Another suburb to consider would be Ormiston....
    And of course if you have a daily commute into Brissie, Cleveland has both a good direct 'bus & train service....to the centre

There is - or was when I left in 2009 - a very good car dealership in Cleveland & several in Capalaba - & all the big ones on the way to Brisbane...on the Pacific Highway....

Lots of advice from posters is here - try it all & see which fits.....& good luck...
    Yes, it is different - of course - but if you just embrace the difference you'll be right !

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
  14. Babyboxer

Babyboxer Guest

Hi ......

We also found used cars more expensive than we expected, and actually bought a new Megane in the end as we were able to get a great finance deal. I work for Bryan Byrt in Mount Gravatt were Ford/Renault/Skoda/VW and Cherry dealership. If you want to PM me your budget and what type of car your after I'll happily check with sales if there is anything worth you looking at.

We also wanted to be near the ocean and settled on Victoria Point as there are plenty of shops and restaurants in walking distance, and we can also walk down to the bay and hop on the ferry to Coochie Island which has a beach and lovely picnic areas and so far I've not seen it overly crowded.

15. Galahad

Galahad Guest

Yep - know it well !
    I lived on Coochiemudlo for eighteen months & if you go 'around the corners' the beaches are even bigger & better....
    I wouldn't choose to live on the island again though - simply because of commuting problems - like when the ferry & the vehicle barge breaks down....
    But Victoria Point is great - & good shops, cinema & cafes....

Babyboxer - LOVE your doggies !

16. samshep

samshep Guest

Hi, we've been here 5 weeks so know how you feel. if you want to PM me I can give you my mobile number to chat, we are in Wellington Point, close to Cleveland as well, we love it.

Anyone want to catch up for a coffee and exchange chat?? Am missing some girl chat.

Sam