Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Hervey Bay' started by Cad, May 18, 2012.

1. Cad

Cad Guest

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give us some advice on the Hervey Bay area please? We have 2 children, aged 11 and 5. I am a teacher (design & technology) and my O/H is a coxswain. It looks like a lovely place and there seems to be plenty of amenities but I am hearing a lot (online) about unemployment in the area.
    Can anyone give me more info? Are we unlikely to get work?

2. srp

srp No longer active member

Hi,

Hervey Bay is a great place and although I do not have children, it would be the ideal place for them in my opinion. As you say the one drawback at the moment is the unemployment. The last figures I saw show an unemployment rate of just under 10%, however it has to be remembered that the area is a holiday / tourist area and the unemployment figures can vary depending on what time of year it is and as we are just coming to "Whale watching season" the figures will improve during the tourism season.

If your OH wants to stay in his present or similar occupation I suggest he starts looking at the companies who do the ferry routes to Fraser island and similar types of company. He may also have to do an update course for his qualifications in Australia. Sorry I cannot help with how you would fare with your occupation as teaching does seem to have some strange rules, depending on the type of school and where it situated.

On our parent site (www.pomsinoz.com) we have a lot of members from the Hervey Bay area and it may pay for you to join PIO and ask a similar question on there.

Edited to add, .....

take a look at this thread on our parent site... http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/welcome/100467-moving-hervey-bay.html

Colin....

Last edited: May 18, 2012