Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Tango001, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tango001

Tango001 Guest

Ok live in Adelaide want to move to Brisbane.
    If hubby works in 8 mile plain - he don't mind commute upto 45 mins does 30 mins to Cbd now.has done all over the world .. rides a motorbike)
    where is the best SUBURB
    i want the beach & a bit more going on the here i want to walk to coffee shops schools ect
    or might as well stay here!
    So question is if where would you stay if you had the choice ?
    Im so confused. J

thanks guys ;(

2. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Hiya, we are going to 8 mile in Feb as this is where my hubby has got a job and are going to stay in the Brisbane holiday village for 4 weeks. We too don't know what suburbs to look at within 30 mins commute. We are coming from the UK and are clueless. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks x

3. Tango001

Tango001 Guest

Apparently 8 mile is nice area - according to work colleges ?

a mate recommends she lives there i met her in Dubai

greenslopes cooparoo, holland park west wellershill tarragindi -close to everything 8k to south bank 45 from Gold Coast, ..
    I ll keep you informed if I find out anything ..
    claire

4. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Cheers Claire I will look at those areas. When are u thinking of moving to Brisbane? We arrive 8th Feb.

5. fish.01

fish.01 Member

Hi Tango001,

Brisbane is a river city not a beach city so with a few minor exceptions probably too far from Eight Mile Plains (EMP) for a 45min peak hour commute you will not be living right near a nice beach.

For that you would need to live at the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or Redcliffe in Brisbane's outer north.

The northside of Brisbane probably has more walk up nice cafe strips but on the south you could look at:

- Bulimba (more expensive area with lovely walking environment, schools and citycat river ferry to the city)
    - Sunnybank next to Eight Mile Plains (very popular with south east asians so lots of chinese/korean/etc asian restaurants/shops/markets)
    - Wynnum/Manly/Cleveland (bayside suburbs with some cafe's etc...good for boating, fishing on moreton bay)
    - Moorooka/Yeronga (popular with African immigrants so some nice african restaurants as well as cafes)
    - West End (hippy/hipster/yuppie area with lots of cafes/restaurants/markets etc next to the city)
    - Stones Corner/Greenslopes (ok inner area with high streets - needs a bit of urban regeneration at the moment but has future potential)

Most of the new quiet family suburbs are centered around neighbourhood drive in shops or large shopping malls (with cafes inside or just outside) rather than high streets. You need to go to the older, inner suburbs to have walk up high street style places.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. thehousehunters

thehousehunters New Member

Hi, if you are looking more for a seaside setting and your husband is happy to commute a good location for you would be Wynnum/Manly/Cleveland/Birkdale/Thornside & Wellington Point. If you are looking for a more modern suburb however, Wakerley could suite you as well. Wynnum offers some great coffee shops with a village strip shopping experience and bayside recreation including local swimming areas and parks. Wellington Point offers strip shops and coffee shop area and further along a great park area and swimming area. Depending on what type of schooling you are interested in there is private and public school located in and around those areas and most would probably require transport to get to depending on where you live.

Other areas worth considering in Brisbane would be river front areas such as Bulimba. Alternatively, Eight Mile Plains is located near Garden City Shopping Centre which is one of Brisbane's Major Shopping Centres and also Carindale Shopping Centre isn't too far either. Suburbs surrounding these shopping centres could be of interest to you as your husband would be commuting against daily traffic, you will be able to get the kids off to school by transport or by car and have access to major shopping centres and strip shops in surrounding areas for coffee and shopping. A number of these areas have homes which offer city views. They are not located near the river or bayside.

The House Hunters

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  7. Tango001

Tango001 Guest

Thank you great help