Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Gill & Dave, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Hi guys, been reading all the posts over the last few weeks and am glad to have found this place as we are about to decide whether we want to emigrate to Brisbane or not. My name is Gill (45), hubby Dave (47) and 3 kids (20, 16 & 8). Dave has been offered a job in 8 Mile Plains (subject to a test and medical), and we have just sold our house too, (it has all happened so suddenly). I am now starting to flap and am having cold feet. Originally we were going to go to Perth as we know a couple of people there who could have helped us find our way etc, but there was no offer of a job there. So when Dave was offered this job in Brisbane, we thought we would make a go of it there. I have been Googling like crazy trying to find out what I can about Brisbane and it looks lovely and it looks as though there is more to do there than in Perth, but a few things have been putting me off, some people are saying the summer is unbearably humid, it's hard to find friends, it's boring for the older kids and stuff like that. I also have no clue on where to stay for the first few weeks. We would need somewhere fully furnished until the container arrives with all our stuff. I've looked at Brisbane holiday village which is by 8 Mile Plains, does anyone know if this would be the right thing to do at first? After that, I have no clue where to look for a nice suburb that is family friendly, has a nice junior school, shops, parks and something for the older ones too. My eldest will have to find work too, so any advice for him? I have thousands more questions, but I will leave it here for now. Any advice will be greatly received, Gill x

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi
    Quite a few familys have stayed at Brisbane Holiday Village for 3 or 4 weeks until they get a rental in an area they like. Its great as all ammenities are on site such as pool etc so ideal for kids. I think you get a decent discount if you book 4 weeks or more ,so make sure you ask.

We have been here 6 years and love Brisbane and its surronds. There are more sports clubs than you could possibly participate in, bike ways if you like cycling, fab play parks for most ages (check out Calamvale adventure park for an example) and a choice of beaches arent a million miles away for any kind of watersports.

Suburb wise ,it all depends what you want, my hubby and kids like moto x so we live on acerage about 30mins away from 8mile plains. Its ideal for getting to the gold coast or the city, so best of both worlds for us. Realestate gives you a good guide to rental availability and costs of various areas.

Hope this helps a little
    Cal x

3. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Cal - thanks for your reply, my sons also like motorbikes but they don't get enough opportunity to use them here, so we are selling their bikes and the trailer and we have said we will try and get them into it properly if we come to Oz. Where is a good place to go to use the bikes? Is it a proper track or just bush land? I have to make sure the kids have plenty to do so that they don't miss home too much, I feel sorry for my sons as they are leaving their girlfriends and a big bunch of friends behind. My daughter who is 8 will obviously be going to school so will make friends that way I hope, but I want her to sample the outdoorsy life and would love to go horse riding and cycling etc.

4. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi
    If not practicing racing at one of the clubs, we go here - http://www.qldmotopark.com.au/ its not too far from us and doesnt cost much. They have lots of different tracks so a good day out for all ages and abilites. My son (14 yrs) is just starting racing so getting his licence etc he goes to both Brisbane and Gold Coast racetracks /motor cross clubs.
    My girl has just turned 9 she was tiny when she came here so doesnt remember the UK and is doing well,lots of friends, one of the top kids in class etc etc,, my son was 8 when we moved and he hasnt had any real issues,although as he gets older he seems more 'intrigued' to know about the UK and old life so i forsee him having atrip back when he is old enough.

Cal x

5. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Thanks for the info! Been looking at the Brisbane holiday village site and we put in approximate dates in February for a 3 weeks stay, it worked out at about $5,000 which I thought was a bit steep. Been looking at furnished accommodation as well and there is not much out there. Went to bed last night and was worried sick about not finding anywhere to stay when we arrived. My hubby is now thinking of coming over alone and staying in a motel whilst looking for somewhere, but he doesn't really want to do that. Are there any companies or groups out there that do a sort of 'settling in' service and have furnished places to set you up in for a short while?

6. Geraldine

Geraldine Super Moderator Staff Member

Hiya Gill & Dave, we are also moving to Brisbane, we are both 42 and our kids are 22,18,12& 9We will have accommodation for a month but will then need to find our own. We are planning on renting on North Lakes as this will be near OH job. It is hard for the kids to leave friends and family behind but like you we plan to be really busy doing stuff with them and getting them to pursue their own sporting interests in the hope they meet like minded friends. We can't wait for better weather and exploring a new part of the world. My kids really pick up my mood so even though I too have worries I am keeping my positive attitude in front of them. The way I look at it is the worst that can happen is we come home if it doesnt work out and that keeps my worries at bay. Wishing you lots of luck with the move Geraldine

7. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Hi Geraldine, I'm glad to know there's someone else in the same position as ourselves! How did you get your initial accommodation? Was it through the job? This is the part I'm struggling with, we can't seem to find any furnished accommodation until we find a rental. My OH's job will be in Eight Mile Plains which is south of the river so we will be looking to rent around there somewhere or within 30 mins of it anyway. I hope we can keep in contact and swap ideas etc? When are you planning on emigrating? We are hoping to go around mid February.

Gill x

8. Geraldine

Geraldine Super Moderator Staff Member

Hiya Gill, we are hoping to go Jan and our accommodation will be provided by his employer for a month. I know there are some other companies set up for short term stays have a look at www.stayz.com.au . Been so busy checking out the north side of Brisbane I haven't looked at much of the south side. It is a bit worrying and being so far away makes it harder to sort out. Would your OH company help out at all ??. Not sure where you are in the UK but we could easily keep in touch before we both go over. It's really exciting times for both of our families maybe we can try and keep each other sane through the upheaval , feel free to pm me and keep in touch :smile:

9. Gill & Dave

Gill & Dave New Member

Thanks Geraldine, will PM you, let me know if you dont get it.