Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal
  1. Hello, this is my first post!

I am a ping-pong: lived in Oz for 30+ years, went to UK 1.5 yrs ago, and now planning permanent move back early 2013. It's a long story, but I am so excited about returning to Oz.

I haven't lived in Brissy before, just visited. I remember seeing the floods on TV and have been trying to find a comprehensive flood risk map for inner Brissy. Does such a map exist? I've found loads of reports that the insurance company's are the only ones with the detailed maps, which they won't release, but not sure if things have moved on a bit now?

I was thinking of starting off renting in Kelvin grove before I look at areas to buy, but I've read this is on the high flood risk part of a map that the insurance companies hold?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. phillllip

phillllip Guest

I plan to move to Brisbane permanently too, I have never been there as well. I think 3rd floor and up should be ok.:notworthy:
    Best wishes.

3. thehousehunters

thehousehunters New Member

Hi Penelope

This could assist you http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/comm...ding-your-flood-risk/flood-flag-map/index.htm

Not sure if you know but Brisbane and Central QLD flooded again this year :-( cannot believe happened 2 years on from the 2011 floods however, it has. Not as many properties got affected this time.

I'll be honest, if you are worried about insurance just know all insurance premiums have gone up no matter where you live. We are at Holland Park and ours has gone up and not one bit of our area flooded we are just way to high. Also all insurance companies must offer flood insurance and have a clear definition in their policies of the meaning of flood since the 2011 floods.

Some suburbs are more flood prone than other properties. Its a matter of doing the research to confirm about flooding etc when doing the due diligence.

4. fish.01

fish.01 Member

Inner Brisbane didn't really flood any more than it has in other moderate storms, nothing like 2011 this time around. 2011 was a 1 in a 100 year flood. Could happen again next week but very unlikely. This one was more like the flooding we had in 2009 from a 2 hour summer storm. The tv stations kept showing the same few streets (eg Torwood St, Auchenflower) which always flood when someone sneezes...Logan and Bayside got more flooding this time round though I think....and of course some regional towns in qld got badly hit.

The maps are fairly accurate in many areas. Even in suburbs right next to the river it is only the same low lying streets that flood. Go one or two streets and you are totally safe...and nearby suburbs will often be totally unaffected.

When looking at a house first use the flood flag maps thehousehunters has linked to above to assess a whole suburb and then if the house is borderline you can use the Floodwise Property Report to get an online assessment of the flood risk of an individual property. See here: http://flood.brisbane.qld.gov.au/floodwise_property_report/address.do?dispatch=prepareSuburb

Note the yellow lines on the flood flag maps are overland flow....ie where significant rain water pools and runs through low lying backyards or whatever.

My tip is to always be wary when a house is next to a park or creek without being high above it. Most flood water in Brisbane flows into parks. When you see the 2011 flood pictures you can really see why most inner city parks exist where they do. Unfortunately some houses or streets next to parks were built just too close and they flood. Most of the water is within the park boundaries usually though.

PS Most of Kelvin Grove is high and dry. It is just a few low parts that flood from Enoggera Creek which as you can see from the flood flag map spills it's banks after heavy rain. It is quite easy to be totally away from those streets and absolutely fine. Kelvin Grove is quite hilly and you could be way above flood height. The northern side of the creek floods far worse. Note the creek is tidal up until Newmarket so is affected not just by rain in the cacthment swelling the creek but also affected by the tide height of the Brisbane river it flows into.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/2010...maps/flooding_kelvin_grove_flood_flag_map.pdf

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013