Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Health & Lifestyle' started by Daphne123, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Daphne123

Daphne123 Guest

Hi All
    Am new to this site and this is my first post (probably of a forthcoming series) concerning moving to Queensland. I am about to put in an application for a job which I am well qualified for and hopefully have a chance of getting. This job is in Mt Gravatt, however I would, if I got the job, like to live along the coast or somewhere where there is easy access to forests, etc. This is because I have two large dogs and my husband and I are very much outdoors people who take the dogs with us on our activities. This, I have discovered however, may be a bit of a problem. I have been doing some research on Brisbane and the surrounding areas (am happy to do 50 minutes - 1 hour commute into work you see) and it seems as though there are huge restrictions on where you can take your dog for walks and particualrly where you can let the off the leash. Just to give you an idea, here at home in the UK, we can walk for miles with our dogs in the fields surrounding our local village, we can give the dogs a run in most woodland areas (always picking up after them of course) and can take them for a long run on the local beaches (out of season). We like to take them for two one hour runs a day off the leash. They are extremely well-behaved and always some back when called. From what I have read, I just cannot see how this will be possible in Brisbane and the surrounding areas. I have read that there is a place at Kedron where they can have a really good run, but apart from that there are small areas cordoned off in parks (are they big enough for big dogs to have a proper run?) and what seem to be small sections of some beaches available at some points in the year. I understand these restrictions and am not criticising them in any way, but my question really is, will I truly be able to exercise two large dogs well under these circumstances? I'm sorry its such a long post, but the dogs are such an important part of our lives.

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hi
    I wouldnt worry too much, lots of familys have dos=gs and there are lots of places to take them..
    I found some doggy parks have 2 areas a smaller one for little dogs and a larger one for bigger dogs. We regually have a trip to Nudgee beach at weekends as they have a fab dog park with obstacle course and an off leash beach that stetches for miles.

Also bear in mind depending on where you settle you may have a big garden. Im abut 30 mins from Mt Gravatt and live on 2 acers so plenty of room for the dog to run around at home.

Cal x

3. Daphne123

Daphne123 Guest

Thanks for replying so quickly Cal. Do you mind if I ask you what areas I might start looking at (in terms of estate agents websites) so as to be able to buy a house with something similar to your place. Two acres is excellent. I cant say I have that here at my house. It would be ideal for the dogs. Thanks also for the tip about Nudgee beach.

4. cal

cal Super Moderator

You have to come out of built up suburbia to get acerage within a reasonable cost. Our postcode is 4280 if your wanted to have a look on Realestate.com (most agents list on this site), if you select a land size of 4000 in the drop down box on the left of the page ,it will onlt show your houses on an acre or above.. Greenbank is another nice area not far from here where theres still acerage dotted about..

Cal x

5. fish.01

fish.01 Member

6. Daphne123

Daphne123 Guest

Hi Cal
    Thanks so much for this. Have been onto the estate agents website and have done a search with your recommendations. Am pleased to say that I have found a house with acerage within my price range and others with a good deal of land available. I wouldnt have done a search with the acerage thingy in place if it had not been for you so thank-you for settling my mind

7. Daphne123

Daphne123 Guest

8. There are a lot of dog parks around Brisbane, and most of them are big enough for your dog to have a good run.
    There are a couple of beaches that are open for dogs all year. Like at Southport (GC) and on Coochiemudlo Island, just a short drive away from Brisbane. We used to take our (late) border collie there and she had a fantastic time (as did our kids) playing in the waves.

Philippe, for
    Open House Realty Group

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  9. Mamamegs

Mamamegs Guest

Subbing as we're moving to Brissie in Nov and I was worried about the same thing! Good to have a few ideas as this will be a big factor in where we decide to rent...It will be hard to adjust to having them on the lead in most parks instead of running free :(