Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by phillllip, Oct 10, 2012.

1. phillllip

phillllip Guest

Hi,
    I'm Filip from Ruse, Bulgaria. I'm an electrical engineer. I just got my permanent resident 175 a month ago. I was assessed from Engineers Australia, but they gave me Engineering Technologist /wtf that means?/. I guess something less than a real electrical engineer, if somebody enlightens me I'll be very grateful. So I'm looking for a job in Australia. For some reason I want to go to the Brisbane metro area. I'm 31 single so all the options open, but I'm looking for a move to QLD in Jan.2013. I'm looking for a job right now and I'll keep you posted on my progress. I was curious what are my real chances to find a job from my home country with no knowledge about electrical standards in Oz, no Oz certificates, outside Oz and no Oz experience. But I have the right to work and live in Oz /which is a '+'/ and my knowledge in the field of electrical engineering is very strong /8years exp on various projects, 5years approved by Engineers Australia/. Even though standards and rules are pretty much the same all over the world, I'm a little bit worried about the certificates that I don't possess. So let's see what happens, I applied for 10 jobs today and send my CV to electricaljobs.com.au for evaluation.

2. phillllip

phillllip Guest

I applied to 15 jobs last week. Got an answer from 3. One says that I'm not qualified, the other 'call us when you get your visa' /i specifically put that in my CV, but nobody is reading I guess/, and the third one says 'the coal firm is restructuring, the position is closed'. As I observe the high number of jobs offered for electrical engineers, I think I have a fare chance finding a job. I have no expectations anybody to hire me from outside Australia, but I expect some of the firms to show some interest, because the high number of jobs offered means lack of electrical engineers. I wonder if more than 10 people apply for a job?

3. phillllip

phillllip Guest

Still no news from me. I'm still waiting, my deadline is 15 Noe. Than I;m going to book mi flight for Brisbane around 15.Jan.2013. I don't know if this thread is helpful or interesting at all, but I'll keep it updated till I get to AU.

4. phillllip

phillllip Guest

I bought my ticket and I'm landing on 30th Jan in Brisbane. Now I'm going to change my address to Brisbane and attack the job market again.

5. cal

cal Super Moderator

Hopefully you will get a better response once your here and can approach companys in person, fingers crossed for you. The trade licencing can be a bit of a nightmare from hat ive heard so keep pushing and chasing and all should be good in the end.

Cal x

6. phillllip

phillllip Guest

skill test for a job? I applied for an electrical engineer job and received an email that I have to take a skill test on the employer web page. It states that it takes 15-20 minutes, any ideas what this test might be?

7. phillllip

phillllip Guest

The skill test turned to be psychotest, so nothing interesting I should say. I don't get it, why i get answers like 'when you get your visa call us again' from recruitment agencies, when I stated it clearly in my CV that I'm permanet resident with the right to live and work in Australia indefinetly. My CV is 2 pages, too long for some people and my visa information is on top of the first page. That's from me for now. I hope the thread will have a happy end to be atleast in a moral use for someone.

8. beddy

beddy New Member

Hi Philllip just wanted to wish you good luck for when you arrive . Sorry can't help you but just to let you know that my OH couldn't secure a job from the UK (mechanical engineer in the UK a 'tradie ' in Australia) but once over here secured a very good job near Brisbane within three weeks.

9. phillllip

phillllip Guest

I was given a new test, a cognitive test. This one wasn't a joke at all, questions on math, some figures and 'how much money Betty has, if she owns 3$ to Tommy and he is blonde'. The test was fun and hard at the same time, I think I did well - waiting for new news from the recruiter. I guess nobody will tell me the results from the tests, but I'm not worried for that.

10. phillllip

phillllip Guest

Short update: nothing new, leaving in 20 days to Brisbane.