Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by hownlynn, Mar 29, 2012.

1. hownlynn

hownlynn Guest

Hi all.

I am a Carpenter currently living in Sydney, and thinking of making the move up north. We came to sydney for the cooler weather, but have found it too expensive and busy. the guy getting shot in westfields just up the road from us hasn't inspired any confidence either. My main concern at the moment is; is there any work for carpenters in the north brisbane/sunshine coast area?. Been looking on Seek past week or so, and there doesn't seem alot.

any comments welcome.

2. Queenie

Queenie New Member

Hi,

We made the move 2 months ago and haven't looked back, the climate takes a little bit of getting used to (so hot) but it's so worth it. Brisbane is far more tropical than Sydney and you notice it immediately (birds, plants etc). Rentals are also half the price of Sydney which has made a massive difference for us and there are no school fees so really it was a no brainer for us.

If I were you, I would start getting phone numbers online for possible jobs and ringing round. You don't get anywhere with seek in my experience. Good luck!

3. hownlynn

hownlynn Guest

Thanks for the info, we are locked in a rental agreement until december, so stuck here till then. we are going on a fact finding trip in a couple of months to get a feel for the place. no school fees sounds like the way forward, and maybe we could afford property a little nearer to the beach. instead of over an hour of a drive.
    :biggrin:

4. Conrad

Conrad Guest

Hi mate,

I worked as a carpenter in Brisbane for a year, 6 months through awx agency who were pretty good at getting me work, there's sites all over the place so you shouldn't have a problem getting work. I've been out of work as a carpenter for an afternoon at most, you'll love it up here!

5. BlueBell1997

BlueBell1997 Guest

We will be arriving on the Gold Coast in 4 weeks. My hubby will be looking for work as a joiner/carpenter around Gold Coast/Brisbane. Do u reckon he is better walking onto building sites, rather than going through agencies?

6. wellyboots

wellyboots Guest

Nice to hear that there is some work out there, my hubby has had his own cabinetmaking business in the UK which he is now finishing up with and then very soon to be booking our flights to Brisbane. We are hoping to settle somewhere near Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast. Good luck everyone with the job hunting!!!!

7. Clarabell

Clarabell New Member

My husband and I have just moved north of brisbane and there is very little work for builders or carpenters, our friend is a carpenter and he travels for over 2hrs a day and gets paid peanuts. We are actually thinking of looking into moving down to Sydney. It seems up here that you have to work for a big organisation as there are no 'little builders' and no builders merchants. And the salary's are a joke. Sorry.
    Wouldyou not recommend Sydney then, for a young family???