Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Visas / Migration' started by Holly, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Holly

Holly Guest

I am in a same-sex relationship and we have been on and off for years now because distance is a very hard thing to over come. I have been going in and out of the country on a ETA visa and we are engaged. I would like to get married to her while I am there. Is this possible? I would like to know if we can apply for a spouse/partner visa while I am there in Australia? I do not know much about this, people I talk to really are not giving me a straight answer. Could someone help me with what I can do I would like to live in Australia and be able to work, be a family! I know that there are answers out there could someone help please????
    Thanks,
    Holly

2. oshividhu

oshividhu Guest

Hi Holly,

There are two types of visitor visa. One comes with a condition attached to it, which says that you can't change the visa while in country. If you have that condition attached, then you wouldn't be able to change over to a spouse visa.

A better option is to go for a prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) where you get a visa for 9 months and you can enter the country to marry your fiance, and then apply for a spouse visa.

Hope the info helps.