Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Visas / Migration' started by lorna2610, Feb 3, 2010.

1. lorna2610

lorna2610 New Member

hi, me and my husband have just got word from our agent that we have been called for our medicals and police checks, my husband is the main visa applicant he works in IT and is going for the 175 visa what does the medical involve how long does it take for the results to come back what about the police checks how long do they take to come back our 3 yr old son has also been called for a medical we also have an 8 wk old son what does his medical entail, any info would be greatly appreciated, just one step closer to our new life in oz, also another question when should we put our house in the uk up for sale should we wait till we get our medicals done or do it before then

Thanks

2. cal

cal Super Moderator

The medical isnt anything to worry about, depending on Dr the examination can vary slightly but its basically a chest x-ray , urine test, blood test if you have tattoos or piercings, reflex test, a prod around on your tummy and job done. My son was about 6 and they didnt do much ,mainly had a chat with him ,checked his reflex's and if i remember rightly a urine test.

The system as changed with the police checks since we applied so sorry im not sure how long they are taking to process now.

Good luck with everything
    Cal x

3. Rudi

Rudi Relocation Brisbane

Hi Lorna

It's honestly nothing to worry about. It's just like a check up, but they do chest xrays and I think I did an eye test as well. Blood tests I think - to be honest it's a long time ago, so I don't remember, but it was not anything major!

Good luck

Love

Rudi
    x

4. aimee

aimee Guest

I've yet ot have all my visa stuff odne BUT
    my mums just been through it all...
    they did chest xray, blood test and urine test. with the kids they just did a urine test....

5. srp

srp No longer active member

I had my medicals in March 2009, it was a case of arriving at Medical centre, practice nurse checked the paperwork was correct and gave me a bottle for a urine sample and did an eye chart test. Then wait 1/2 hour for the X-ray to be done, it’s just a chest x-ray and took 30 seconds to complete. Then I waited for Doctor. The Doctors examination took about 15 min. Took blood pressure, listened to my chest. I lay on a bed and she lifted my legs up and down, then my arms, asked a couple of basic questions and that was it, nothing spectacular. I did not have to have a blood test. The whole process probably takes 3/4 hour, but I was there for 2 hours including the waiting around. Children just talk to doctor and they may listen to their chest, not a lot more involved with kids.

6. aimee

aimee Guest

omg i hope your right... i'm petrified of needles so really scared about the blood test!
    fingers crossed i dont have to have 1... if i do i'll just have to cry lol

7. srp

srp No longer active member

I think it depends on why you are applying for visa, If you are going into heathcare or working with children then you will have one. If you have tattoes I think you have to have a blood test also.

For most occupations I do not think you need one.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010