Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Discussion in 'Brisbane & South East QLD' started by Charl.M, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Charl.M

Charl.M Guest

Hi all, we (4 of us) have recently arrived on the sunshine coast 10 weeks ago! its been such a roller coaster getting here and we cannot beleive we are actually here - in this amazing/beautiful place.
    we arrived in manchester airport on the 9th september with 12 cases and 4 backpacks. tickets. money and thats about it! we didnt have jobs or a long term rental just a few weeks in a holiday home!

my husband found a job pretty quick full time - he is a spark!
    my son who is almost 15 is settling into school really well he is thriving compared to the UK!!
    my little girl is 3 and starts kindy next week - she loves all the parks and beaches (who wouldnt)?
    and I am going to look for part time work after christmas once the children are settled..
    we do miss family but not the UK at all!!

now the things that shocked us:----- the price of groceries (OMG) and the price of cars - they hold their value a lot!! but things like electrical items such as toasters toastie makers, slow cooker, food processers etc are really cheap!!!
    other than that we researched rent and jobs etc before arriving so was not a shock!!

so if anyone needs help or advise i would be happy to help if i can!!
    charl

Ktee likes this.

2. Alyssa

Alyssa Guest

Hi Charl,
    Glad that you are settling in - where abouts along the coast are you? My 5 year old daugher and I arrive in January from Ireland on PR visas to base ourselves in Caloundra, similarily with no job or long term accommodation set up, yet! I am a registered nurse and hoping that I will pick up even something casual easily enough once I get my lady into school and until we get settled! Keep any advice you have coming .. many thanks!

3. Charl.M

Charl.M Guest

hi alyssa
    we are about 20 mins from caloundra! so if your up for a meet up when you arrive thatd be great... you prob wont be able to get a long term rental until you arrive you have to go and see it yourself and apply!!
    you will get a job im sure there are pool jobs advertised and a new hospital opening in feb "which is where im hoping to get a job"...
    anything you need to know just ask
    what made you choose caloundra?
    you will love it here its amazing lol
    charl x

4. Ktee

Ktee Administrator

What a lovely thread and a great update. Thank you for sharing.

Love Shoes likes this.
  5. Alyssa

Alyssa Guest

Hi Charl,
    Thanks for that, I may just look you up over the next month or so - 18 days and counting until we leave Ireland to begin our new adventure, we are in the final stages of saying our goodbyes and packing up!
    No idea why I picked Caloundra other than its close enough to the city where I have family but seems to embody my idea of the lifestyle I am emigrating to have. From this distance, its a case of putting a pin in a map and hoping for the best!
    Tick, tock, tick .. its getting real now!
    Alyssa

Love Shoes likes this.
  6. Love Shoes

Love Shoes Super Moderator

I agree x

7. Hi Alyssa,
    I did the journey from the UK six years ago with my family and found it difficult at first but you soon will get into the swing of things.
    The heat may hit you at first with the contrast from Ireland - just make sure you cover up and put heaps of suncream on you and your daughter and drink lots of water.

Shelley

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  8. Lyndsey

Lyndsey Guest

Hi all,
    Only new to this site but am trying to get as much info as I can. I am flying out on 189 visa 25th March with my husband & 2 children. I am a nurse & husband is a car mechanic. We are coming out without jobs but hopefully my husband will get employment when we get there and I can pick something up when I get my 2 kids settled into nursery (1 & 4). I am staying with my cousin in Wavell heights when we land & hopefully can arrange rental soon after. Our plan is to be around north lakes, mango hill, Griffin area. All information will be very welcome. I'm am very very nervous and am trying to prepare myself as much as possible.
    Many thanks
    Lyndsey

9. Keith & Linda

Keith & Linda Member

Mango Hill may be the better choice, the estate roads are not as complicated and there is a new railway and station going in very very soon, so you could easily walk it for commuting into the city. It is also not very far from Redcliffe which has a great seafront pool/play area for the kids (a mini Southbank) you also have all the other seaside suburbs, We often drive up there for some nice walks on the front.
    Good luck with everything.
    Keith.

Lyndsey likes this.